Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Dominican national with legal French residence wishes to go

Dominican national with legal French residence wishes to go to UK this Thursday, has no time to get Visa. Visa papers have been filed, visited the Paris UK office today, paid fee online last Friday. Dominican national has worked in Europe the past three years for a multi-national legally, lives with their family - 3 Americans. Can the Dominican national still travel to UK via ferry, with all the proper documentation, and legally be granted access to enter the UK?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for question.

I'm afraid not, no. The fact that the Dominican has obtained residence in France under French law does not change the fact that they are Dominican and does not afford them any additional rights than they already have with respect to entering the UK.

Only when a Dominican national has naturalised as a French citizen and obtained a French passport would then then receive the same EEA rights as other French citizens. In this circumstance they would be able to travel to the UK without restriction on the basis of that French passport.

Until then they must apply for a visa.

If they travel without a visa then they will not be permitted entry to the UK and would have to return to France immediately.

Sorry it could not be better news.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is no other possible legal option? They cannot show that they have everything in order with the documents they hold, and then be allowed access?
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

No, it's very strict - they either have a visitor's visa stamp in their passport or they don't and they are permitted/refused on this basis alone.

Entry officiers are there to check visas/passports and nothing else. The decison as to whether to grant a visa to a person in the first place on the basis of the documentation they have provided is the sole purview of the UKBA prior to travel.

Again, I am sorry it could not be better news.

I trust this clarfiies however and should be grateful if you would kindly click accept.

Kind regards,

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
I note you have not clicked accept to my answer. Is there any further information you require?
If you do not click accept then your deposit simply stays with the website and I receive absolutely no credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. Only when you click accept does a portion of your deposit actually transfer to me and you will not be charged any further money simply by clicking accept.
Please click accept. I cannot work for free.