Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I have a son age 9, born in 2001. His mother and I were not

I have a son age 9, born in 2001. His mother and I were not married and are seperated. My name appears on the birth certificate as the father. Do I have parental rights?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question

As your son was born before 2003 then you have not acquired Parental Responsibility (which is required in order to make applications for contact/residence etc under the Children's Act) simply by virtue of the fact that your name is XXXXX XXXXX the Birth Certificate.

If you wish to obtain PR then you can either obtain PR by making a PR agreement with the mother of the child or, if she does not agree to a PR agreement, then by way of making an application to the Court for a PR order.

You should speak to the mother and then proceed via a local family solicitor either for an Agreement or Order.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions relating to this specific issue.

Kind regards,