Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My boyfriend did eventually arrive in the Uk and returned to

My boyfriend did eventually arrive in the Uk and returned to finish his dissertation. He was not assigned a supervisor by the Uni until the week before his hand in dateand although he wished to submit the work he had done he was told he should extend till January. His visa is valid until December which presents a problem. We have little in the way of resources and he wished to give up on the studies as they have now assigned a new supervisor. In the meantime he was told by his brother that his mother had died in India and as he was very close to his mother he has fallen apart. Can you suggest a path we can take so that he can extend and possibly take his tier 1 visa ?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Hi

Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

• 1. Where is your boyfriend now?
  • 2. Are you asking whether he can extend his current visa, is this a student visa?

I will be able to answer in the morning.

Kind regards.

Tom

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He is in the uk and his visa is valid until December, but he says if he is finished with Uni immigration want him to go home. I just cant make him see sense and stop panicking with all that he has gone through.

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Is he on a Tier 4 Student Visa?

Do you intend to marry?

KInd regards.

Tom

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He is on a Tier 4 student visa , the plan was to get him settled with his career first before settling down together.

The plan was also to apply for his Tier 1 before the end of the present visa

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Do you mean that the plan was to apply for his Tier 1 Post Study Work Visa once he has finished?

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, but he is so confused at the moment with his mothers death and the lack of help from the University that he wants to give up.

The fact that they have said that he can hand in the dissertation in January which is after the end of the present visa is the biggest problem at the moment.

The visa was not given for the full 6 months.

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

What does he want to do?

Does he want to complete his dissertation?

Does he want to return to India to deal with his family situation?

Would he ideally prefer to hand in his dissertation whilst he is in India?

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

He doesnt want to go back to India as they were trying to force him into an arranged marriage.

I think I could persuade him to hand in the dissertation in January if we can solve the problem of the visa.

He just wont discuss things at the moment he just keeps saying the only way is to go to Canada or be sent back to India which is stressing him out.

He has £800 in his account which was there for his visa for the uk

Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

He can apply to have his Tier 4 visa extended from December because of the change in dissertation tutor. The UKBA understand that situation can be fluid and will do so here provided that he can get a letter from his university stating that it has been agreed to delay the submission of his dissertation because there has been a change in dissertation tutor and all parties agree that this would be fair.

He should also include a statement and evidence pertaining to the extra stress that he has had to deal with and is still dealing with in regard to the passing of his mother.

From looking on the UKBA website it appears that the appropriate application form is at the top right hand section of the following webpage:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/studying/adult-students/applying-inside-uk/

I would certainly call the UKBA to confirm this as being the correct application form though, because the last time I did one I am fairly certain that it was an “FLR” format form.

Once he has finished his studies he will be free to apply for a Post-Study Work visa in the normal way.
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you I will forward this to him and hopefully he will take the right direction, only he can do that