Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

MY SISTER IS TELLING EVERYONE THAT I SEXUALY ABUSED HER ABOUTE

MY SISTER IS TELLING EVERYONE THAT I SEXUALY ABUSED HER ABOUTE 30 YEARS AGO
THIS IS NOT TRUE CAN I DO ANITHING TO STOP HER SLANDERING ME LIKE THIS
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question..

People are free to say what they like to other people provided that what they say must not be defamatory. In order to be defamatory (ie. Libel or slander), it must:-
1. Be a false statement
2. Communicated publicly (ie. To another person other than the defamor and the defamed
3. Cause damage to the person who is defamed.
If this is not true and she is communicating it to third parties and it is causing you damage then you may have a cause of action (ie. A potential claim against her).
However defamation actions are extremely expensive (tens of thousands of pounds in legal fees – no legal aid), with a unpredictable degree of success and it is only worth suing a person if they have money against which you could enforce judgement.
I would attempt to resolves the situation informally and appeal her sense of justice. If she does not comply then you should get a local solicitor to write a letter before action to her confirming that you consider this defamation of character and ask that she stop these communications to third parties immediately otherwise you will commence a civil action against her. This would cost around £50+Vat and should probably scare her in to behaving herself.
Sorry it could not be better news, I’m sure it’s frustrating.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom