Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Hello, I am a full-time postgraduate student in England

I am a full-time postgraduate student in England and work part-time as an escort. I also have indefinite leave to remain and am on a South African passport. I have had ILR for 5 years now and would like to apply for citizenship in the next year whilst I am a student.

My problem is that I want to register myself as self-employed and since I know that it is fine to do so in terms of the law I do not think that it would be good for me to be registered as an escort when applying for British citizenship because I am worried that it would affect the "person of good character" qualification.

Please could you advise on this aspect?

Thank you.
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-
1. Have you been convicted of any crimes
2. What does your employment as an escort involve
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hello Tom,

Thank you for your response.

No, I have never been convicted of a crime.
I provide companionship to gentlemen.

Hi H,

Thanks for your reply.

It would be a longshot for the UKBA to attempt to refuse on the basis of your role of an escort unless they can prove that you are doing something illegal and are simply yet to be convicted of it. In practice the UKBA do not have the resources to conduct specific investigations in your employment, so unless something falls in their lap which suggests illegality then their investigations will not extend any further than the following.

You will see from the following link (including the drop drown links at the bottom of the page) that the good character requirement is concerned chiefly with whether you have unspent criminal convictions (which you don’t), financial irregularities (which I assume you don’t) and other information held by police and governmental departments. So provided you do not have any dealings with the police, are in a reasonably financial position and do not have any unspent convictions then you should be okay.

In the event that they try to reject your application on this basis then you will have good grounds for appeal since you will be able to argue that the job does not contain an illegality and the UKBA should not refuse on the basis of suspicion without proof.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

Kind regards,