Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

My Daughter has just married an Egyptian, what is the procedure

My Daughter has just married an Egyptian, what is the procedure for getting him into the UK to live and work as they are both thirty two years of age and would like to settle down and have a family. Julia and Kevin from Bristol UK
Hi
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-
1. Has she married him in Egypt?
Kind regards.
Tom
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes in Cairo , they have had all the relevent paperwork stamped from the British embassy and the Egyptian embassy, the British embassy has been notified that they are married. Her passport has been stamped and her status stamped as married. Now need to know what to do next for him to be allowed into the country legally
HI Kevin & Julia,

Thanks for your reply.

He will need to apply for a spouses visa (ie. Settlement) if he is to come here to settle with you permanently.

If the application is well prepared and you meet the following eligibility criteria then it will make the application easy and quick to decide upon for the UKBA. To be eligible, you must show:-

• 1. That you are legally married to each other (marriage certificate)
• 2. You are present and settled in the UK (eg. Passport, proof of accommodation)
• 3. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements, evidence of her (statements, correspondence(
• 4. You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income)
• 5. You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
• 6. That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

You have to produce to the UKBA documentation that proves the above. This would be some of the following:-
• Bank statements from both him and your daughter going back 6 months showing the income/capital you have available
• Payslips (6 month of) and a letter from your daughter’s employer stating that she has a permanent job, contract of employment etc
• Documentary evidence of any other assets she holds (eg. Shares, evidence of ISAs or bonds)
• Marriage certificate, Birth Certificate, passport
• Evidence of correspondence between your daughter and him showing that the relationship is credible and genuine (eg. Emails, letters, evidence of previous trips, photos showing them together, phone records
• Evidence of the accommodation where they will live (ie. land registry officials copies of the property that she might own, mortgage documentation, copy tenancy agreement if she rents, council tax statements, house report by a solicitor, letter from landlord confirm he is happy to give her a further tenancy agreement
• Evidence that he can speak English: http://www.ukvisas.gov.uk/en/aboutus/features/englishlangrequirementpartners
• You should also include job adverts showing jobs available that your daughter’s husband could do in the locality in which they are to live when he comes here and show, via your wife’s CV, that he has the qualifications and work experience that she would be a viable candidate for those roles
Further information here:-
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/visas-immigration/partners-families/citizens-settled/spouse-cp/documents/maintenance/

He will also have to pass and English language test showing he has a basic command of spoken and listening English. You can contact the UKBA for details of test centres in his area.

He will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using form VAF4 Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both of them before submission to ensure the best possible chance of success upon determination by the UKBA.

You can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-
http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosingandusing/findasolicitor.law

The visa will be granted for a period of 27 months. He can apply for indefinite leave to remain once he has been here for 24 months. 12 months later he can apply to be naturalised as a UK citizen (if he so wishes_ provided he has not spent a lot of time outside the UK during the 36 months total.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom
Hi Kevin & Julia,

Thanks for your reply.

Further information here:-

Kind regards,

Tom