Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

my sister married in albania to an albanian man but nothing

my sister married in albania to an albanian man but nothing was registered in uk upon return does she still have to divorce in uk
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

If shereceived a marriage certificate and the marriage was legal in Albania then it will be recognised by UK law. There is no requirement to have the marriage registered in the UK if she was married in Albania.

This means that she is married for UK law purposes and would therefore have to obtain a divorce before she is able to marry in the UK, if indeed that is what she wishes to do.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,