How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7600
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What documents should I receive from the building society when

This answer was rated:

What documents should I receive from the building society when I pay my final mortgage payment?

When did you purchase the property please?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.



2003 mortgage commenced


Best regards


HI Martin,

Thanks for your reply.

Your property will be registered at the Land Registry.

The original “deeds” would have been 'dematerialised' (ie. destroyed by the land registry) when the property was first registered. The proof of title (in effect, what the original deeds prove) is now the Official Copies of the registered title number for the property on the Land Registry's database. This will let you sell the property as it is proof of your ownership. This record effectively replaces the deeds. As a consequence the deeds are of little relevance since the actual salient legal details (easements, covenants etc) would have been taken from the deeds and noted against the official copies, so you don’t have to worry about those.

In practice the lender does not usually hold any documents these days.

The lender has a first legal charge registered against the registered title to the property. When you settlement your mortgage account you should write to them and ask them to confirm that they have sent the Notice of Discharge to the Land Registry to remove their first legal from the registered title. Once they have confirmed this you should check the registered title and download a copy of the register to check that there is no entry (ie. a “Restriction”) referring to their charge.

You can check using the Land Registry's online service by downloading a copy of the register of the title (if any) for the property:-

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you