Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I married in St Lucia in 2003 we are both british citizens,

I married in St Lucia in 2003 we are both british citizens, we never registered the marriage here. We are now sperated and wish to marry again Is the marriage reconised in the uk and do we need to divorce here to be able to marry again?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-
1. Did you receive a Marriage Certificate after you were married, yes?
2. Was the marriage a legal marriage for the purposes of St Lucian law?
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes I received a Marriage Certificate and as far as I know it was legal in St Lucia.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

If you received a marriage certificate and the marriage was legal in St Lucia then it will be recognised by UK law. This means that you are married for UK law purposes and would therefore have to obtain a divorce before you are able to marry in the UK.

If you married without obtaining a divorce then you would be committing bigamy., which is a criminal offence obviously.
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,