How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Jo C. Your Own Question

Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 64022
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Jo C. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I get my criminal record expunged in the UK When I

Resolved Question:

How can I get my criminal record expunged in the UK? When I was 14 I went through a bad year of teenage rebelion triggered by family issues, now 27yr mum & working professsional I was surprised when I recieved my CRB listing things that happened 13 years ago and to learn that there is no such thing as a spent conviction! There must be something I can do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I will try to help with this.

Are you hoping this can be wiped off completely?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If thats possible then yes definatly because they are completly irrelavent now. I don't even use the same name anymore which just conjours up more problems when my CRB is questioned and I end up having to go over my life story with a complete stranger which is just not right.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
'Thank you for this information. I keep losing my internet connection at the moment but I will be in a secure place within a short time. I will respond to your question as soon as possible. Please do not respond to this message as it will push your question to the back of my list. Many thanks for your patience'.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.

You cannot have it removed completely.

It may well have dropped off basic crb checking now depending on the sentence that you got.

But it will always show on enhanced checking at least until the government change the law. They are under pressure to consider that issue as Europe have issued various declarations of incompability.

You can ask the police not to include it on your crb check using the exceptional circumstances procedure. Whether they will or not is another matter. Overall they are reluctant to exclude it depending on what it is to avoid liability on their part. That said, they are showing more willingness after the european ruling.

Failing that you can always judicially review the decision to refuse although these are expensive actions with high tests unfortunately.

Please remember to press accept. I will ahppilty answer your follow up questions for free thereafter.
Jo C., Barrister
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 64022
Experience: Over 5 years in practice.
Jo C. and 6 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What does 'judicially review the decision to refuse' mean and how do I ask the police not to include it using exceptional circumstances?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
I'm out on a mobile device at the moment but if you give me a couple of hours I can find you a link to a site with the procedure.

Please don't respond to this message or it will slip back into my inbox.

It is probably worth asking the police to do this. It might be effective.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry about the delay. I'm still using a mobile device as my provider is doing 'maintenance works', would you believe?

You can find quite good information on the procedure here

Although that page does focus on non conviction information the procedure is much the same.

Overall, I probably would ask. It costs you nothing to do so. But I'm afraid I would brace yourself to be refused. The police generally would rather not take risks unfortunately.

That said, I think it is likely that the law will change on this point as its just having the effect of preventing people from being rehabilitated. All probably isn't lost forever.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your reply. I have had a look through the information on both the exceptional circumstances procedure and the Judicial Review. It seems as if the Judicial Review would be the better option but would I need to start off with going through the exceptional circumstances route or could I go directly through to the JR? If so who would I need to contact to get the ball rolling for the JR?

The JR info states that it is there to challenge the lawfulness of a decision, I'm unclear on what this means exactly. Does this mean it can only be used if the body in question came to their decision without following the correct procedure? As if it does then I don't think this would help either in hindsight.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
No, JR should always be a last resort.

Also, its a very expensive action and a very high test. Sorry to be negative but you probably want to know the truth.

You would have to argue the decision to refuse to remove this information was one that no reasonable chief constable could have reached which is pretty difficult given the fact that the law allows him to.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK. I guess I have nothing to lose by writing a few letters. It's not like I killed anyone, I didn't even go to prison or young offenders, although it makes me want to kill myself because of the amount of barriers this is causing. Oh well I shall just shut up and put up and look forward to a life back on the dole at some point. Whats the point of trying. God help the thousands of rioters that are currently being convicted in 10-15 years time there will no doubt be an overwhelming rise in crime as they will feel like they have no other choice than to continue there lives as criminals as thats the option the system gives you. Once a statistic always a statistic.

Thanks for your help though.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I agree. I would always try the cheap option first.

I think you might find though that in a few years this procedure might be changed automatically. The government are under increasing pressure from Europe.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Last | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Law with expertise in UK Employment Law
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Law with expertise in UK Employment Law
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice