Alex Hughes
Alex Hughes, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm with 25 years legal experience

hi I have british passport. I had wrong data of birth

hi
I have british passport. I had wrong data of birth on my british passport which I have applied to be changed. I am indian by birth, and aquired british citizenship in 2009. The reason my passport has wrong date of birth is because my indian passport ( which is required when i applied for naturalisation and british passport) had the wrong date of birth.
I knew about the error on my indian passport but could get it corrected because for that i had to spend a lot of time in India which wasn't possible.

I have my original birth certificate from india that shows my correct date of birth.
i have now applied for correction of date of birth on my british passport. but, I have been asked to send my certificate of naturalisation by the passport department. as my certificate of naturalisation also have incorrect date of birth, i don't think I will be able to get my date of birth corrected on my passport.

Can you please advice how I can get the date of birth corrected on my passport as well as certificate of naturalisation? As i said earlier, I have my original indian birth certificate as a proof of my correct date of birth.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Alex Hughes replied 2 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Could you explain which part of your DOB is incorrect e.g. date, month or year?

What date of birth was given to the Indian authorities when you originally applied for your Indian passport?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

It's the full date of birth that's wrong. Passport shows 10/01/77(dd/mm/yy), but my original birth certificate shows 4/12/1979.

Documents given for the indian passport was 10th class pass certificate because that is what is accepted in india for passport applications. Error was made by the passport authorities only.But, i had to travel within 2 days after getting my first passport so i ignored the error. I didn't get around to correcting this so far mainly because of the hassle. But, I want to know if I can get this error corrected using my original birth certificate.

When you applied for your British passport why did you not explain the problem with the DOB? You were clearly aware of it.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I had called the indian passport agency in UK. They told me that I have to go to India and get my indian passport corrected first.That was a long procedure and I couldn't get time off from work.

I think the best thing you can do is send the birth certificate and naturalisation certificate to UKBA and tell them exactly what happened. They will decide whether or not your passport should be amended.

My only concern for you is this: that with such an important document you did not make more of an effort to correct the problem at an earlier stage. Passport fraud is a problem and UKBA will investigate this issue thoroughly before making amendments to your documents. They will also want to know why you signed a declaration in your passport application to say you were giving truthful information when clearly you were not.

However, ultimately if the passport bears the wrong date of birth you must co-operate with UKBA and give them all the information they need to correct this error.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Well, if it is going to cause me hassle, I would like to avoid it. That's the sole reason why I hadn't tried to correct this before. I have no strong reasons to explain why I didn't attempt to correct it since the beginning apart from the fact that it takes a great deal of effort to get these things fixed in India.

i am not sure if this will be accepted by the authorities. And,if not, I think i will just like to withdraw my application. Can you advice if this will be better? I don't want my passport/citizenship be cancelled by the authorities. What if they are not happy with my reasons . Would I have committed an offence in their eyes?

Thanks for the additional question. However, you will need to accept the detailed answer I gave earlier. I will continue to assist you.
Alex Hughes, Solicitor/Partner
Experience: Partner in national law firm with 25 years legal experience
Now that you have brought the matter to the attention of the authorities it would difficult to explain why you wish to withdraw your application, especially when you have told them that your passport information is incorrect! I don't think you have committed a crime but I do think you should get this matter resolved. My advice is that you should pursue your application to ask them to amend the DOB. I agree this is a hassle but I don't see that you have any other choice.