Ben Jones
Ben Jones, UK Lawyer
Experience:  Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'

Is it illegal to change a name on an invoice. The royal mail

Customer Question

Is it illegal to change a name on an invoice. The royal mail are chasing me for a payment that i do not agree with i have asked for a breakdown of the charges and they are refusing to give me them. The charges are from 2009 and since then i have formed a new company with new accounts ( we changed from a partnership to ltd not for financial reasons ) they have now changed the name on the invoice in question to the new company name and are chasing the new company for an account that we have not held and still refusin to give me a complete breakdown of the charges.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 years ago.
Hello, thanks for your question. Please press Accept when satisfied with my answer. For now please let me know if the new company is a separate legal entity to the old one?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it is a seperate legal entity.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 years ago.
Was the old company a limited company? Is it still trading?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No the old company was a partnership which has ceased trading. We never actually refused to pay the bill we just wanted to know how it had got to the amnount they were asking and have a full breakdown like on all other invoices. They just refuse to give the breakdown and have asked debt collection agencies to collect but when i explain to the agencies what has happened they refer the debt back to the royal mail and say they can not collect until they list what the charges are for.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 years ago.
Apologies for the slight delay. The short answer is no, they can’t just change the name on the invoice and transfer the debt to someone else. The debt will be against the partnership and the partners of that business. If you have set up a new company since then they can’t transfer the debts to that new business, it must remain with those responsible for the debt (which would be the partnership or the partners). So the new company, as a new entity cannot be held responsible for this debt. They could still purse the of partnership or those that have liability for its debts.

Please press Accept and I can expand my answer and provide more detailed advice and guidance as required. I will also answer any specific questions you may have. Thank you