Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I am a british citizen

I am a british citizen with children born in Canada. Can they get british citizenship and passports. Also, can I keep my british citizenship if I get a |Canadian citizenship (dual citizenship
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Are you British by birth in the uk?

When were the children born?

Kind regards
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was born in Glasgow and carry an E|C passport. we came to Canada in 1960 and I have permanent resident card. My 2 sones were born in Toronto Canada
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

Can you please confrim the dates of the birth of the children

Can you please confirm if you are married to the mother of the children and, if so, when you were married?

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My sons were born March 19, 1991 and Feb 3 1997. I am married to their mother since Feb 17 1990
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your reply.
Yes, your children are entitled to British Citizenship and to obtain British passports under the British Nationality Act 1981. Because they were not born in the UK they will be British Citizens by descent. This means that they will not be able to pass on their British Citizenship on to any of their own children who are not themselves born in the UK.
There is no restrictions on holding both British and Canadian passports, so they can in effect get dual citizenships.
Information on how to obtain passport for British national whilst abroad here:-
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.
You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept. I will answer your follow up questions you may have.
Kind regards,