Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

a relative has left a will (mid 90s) naming all his siblings

a relative has left a will (mid 90's) naming all his siblings as beneficiaries of his estate in equal shares absolutely, two have predeceased him and no replacement beneficiaries have been delegated.do the children of the predeceased siblings have any claim on the estate ? I assume the estate will be divided in equal shares between the surviving siblings
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

If the Will of the deceased does not name a substitute (ie. I bequeath....... to John Doe or if he shall predecease me to such of his children living at the date of my death”) in the clause dealing with this or elsewhere in the will then the share of the share of the siblings who have predeceased simply falls back in to the residuary estate.

It would therefore simply pass to the surviving siblings in equal shares. If the beneficiaries and in agreement however a deed of variation can be executed to pass that predeceased’s sibling’s share to their children, but it is there decision.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom