Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My wife & stepdaughter have lived permanantly in the UK with

My wife & stepdaughter have lived permanantly in the UK with me since Feb 2005 they both have leave to remain visa`s expire on the 17th of next month , i was going to apply for renewal visa`s but have realised that they both have to sit a life in the UK test now.
I have booked them both for a test on the 29th of this Month but we feel they are not ready to pass the test yet , what happens if they fail & will they both be refused any sort of visa ?
regards
Alan Cross
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-
1. I take it you mean that you wife/stepdaughter were apply for ILR (as opposed to a visa) but you are concerned that they will not pass the Life in the UK Test. Correct?
Kind regards.
Tom
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes Tom this is correct we don`t know what will happen if they fail the test & is there anway they can get pernament citizenship in the UK so we don`t have to fork out over £2000 every 2 years for visa`s etc.
Expert:  Thomas replied 2 years ago.
Hi Alan,

Thanks for your reply.

The UKBA are req uired to be very strict on having the test I’m afraid, it’s part of the wide public policy position that all foreign nationals seeking the settle permanently here should integrate to a certain level following suggestions that some are somewhat disconnected from UK life here. If they do not pass the test then the application will be rejected.

If they pass the test then you can obviously apply, if they do not then instead of applying for ILR they will simply have to apply for Further Leave to Remain using the UKBA form FLR(M). The cost for a single applicant and one dependent is £825.00, so I’m not sure how you have managed to pay £2000.00 in the past unless you have instructed a solicitor to prepare the application for you and then I suppose it should come near this amount (although you could almost certainly get a better deal on legal fees were you to shop around).

In the end, if they reject the application for ILR you will be forced to make an application for Further Leave to Remain in any event so I should take the view that you should forgo the sunk cost of applying for ILR (if they don’t) pass and instead apply for FLR and perhaps use the money for some form of tutoring lessons to progress them through the exam.

I am sorry it could not be better news.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor