Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I am canadian, so is my daughter. Both my parents and siblings

I am canadian, so is my daughter. Both my parents and siblings were born in Britian. Can my daughter apply for an EU passport?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Hi
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-
1. Where were you born
2. Where was your daughter born
Kind regards.
Tom
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Toronto Ontario Canada
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Ok.

What nationality is her father and where was he born please?

Tom
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Her father is also Canadian and born in Toronto, Ontario Canada

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

She is not entitled to a UK passport and to thereafter avail her self of EU rights I’m afraid. Depending on the type of citizenship held by your parents you would probably be entitled to register as a UK citizen and to apply for a passport, because citizenship is permitted to descent to one generation only in this way.

As your citizenship had already descent from your parents to you it cannot descend another generation so that your daughter could register as such I regret to say.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Both my parents were british born and have dual passports(Canadian and British). Her grandfather on her father's side was born in Italy and has become a canadian citizen. My daughter is looking into going to Univeristy in the UK and wanted to be able to work there while in school. How would she apply for to become a UK citizen then apply for a passport?

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

The requirements in order for her to naturalise as a UK citizen is a separate question to her present eligibility for a UK passport.

Please click accept to his answer.

If you require advice on what is required in order to naturalise as a UK citizen please submit a further question to the board requesting me or marking it for my attention as "FAO Tom".

Kind regards,

Tom