How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7405
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i have a new born baby but i came in as student which has now

This answer was rated:

i have a new born baby but i came in as student which has now ran out.
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following using the same numbering:-
1. Are you asking about your immigration status?
2. What nationality are you
3. What nationality is the father
4. Are you in a relationship with a UK national, EEA member state national or person holding Indefinite Leave to Remain?
Kind regards.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1. yea
2. Nigerian
3. nigerian
4. yes, relationship with a british citizen

Are you married to the British Citizen?

How long have you been in a relationship with the British Citizen?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
1. we are not married yet but we have a 6 weeks old baby together
2. we have been together for over 2 years
You said that the father of the child was Nigerian.

Do you have another child with your British Citizen boyfriend?

Do you live together?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i am a lady and the father is a nigerian who came as a student, but his visa has ran out, this is our first child together and i dont want him to go back to nigeria. I am a british citizen and i have registered our baby.

Thanks for your reply.

I’m still a little confused, but my answer is based upon the following:-
1.; You are a British Citizen and so is your new born child
2. The father of the child is Nigerian and has overstayed his visa
3. You do not want him to go and be deported and are enquiring over his immigration status.

He would have to make an application on a discretionary basis because of his UK citizen child. This would be an application outside of the traditional immigration rules – you would not find guidance in this regard on the UKBA website.

His argument would be that he should be afforded further leave to remain on the basis that his child is to reside here permanently with you and his removal would breach the right to family and private life for both him and the child if he were removed under Article 8.

He would need to instruct a solicitor to make the Application for Discretionary Leave to Remain because it is a specialist application and the solicitor would have to argue his Article 8 rights in the application and the covering letter, They would also make sure the application is appropriately collated with documentary evidence to give him the best possible chance of an approval.

Provided the application is made by a solicitor and you can show that the child shall remain here permanently then he has a chance of regularising his stay. It would cost in the region of £1000-1500 for a solicitor to make this application for him.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7405
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    family solictor with 25 years experience
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor