Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I am about to go through a divorce, I have a loan in my name

I am about to go through a divorce, I have a loan in my name only but my soon to be ex wifes' solicitor wants proof.
Am I legally obliged to provide my loan account details or can I just sign a written statement or tell then no?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Ultimately, your wife would be able to compel you to reveal the loan by making an application to involved the court in the financial aspects of your divorce by way of ancillary relief proceedings. So if you don't reveal it to them this is the option available to them. Ancillary relief proceedings are expensive in legal fees, lengthy and often stressful.

Were I acting for your wife I certainly wouldn't accept a declaration of the loan by you unless specifically instructed to do so by your wife, because it is not unheard of for persons to misrepresent these matters.

I would take a pragmatic view of the situation and disclose.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,