Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

Good day, Please can you assist me with the authenticity of

Good day, Please can you assist me with the authenticity of a solicitor by the name of Richard S Collymore based in London.
Your assistance will be greatly appreciated
Retana Davids

South Africa
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Hi Retana,

Thanks for your question.

A solicitor who practices as such in the UK must be registered with the Solicitors Regulation Authority in order to do so. There are no exceptions to this. If the person is saying they are a solicitor then they will appear as a result on the Law Society’s Find a Solicitor search engine:-

There are no such search results for the name you list. It is depedent upon the correct spelling of the name so double check.

Impersonating a solicitor is a criminal offence which carries a possible sentence upon conviction of up to 2 years.

You should ask for a copy of the person’s practicing certificate. I doubt they will be able to provide this as it is proof of their status as a solicitor licensed to practice in England and Wales.
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question. You will not be charged any further money for clicking accept.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,