Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

Is there any way I can stop a man parking his car in front

Is there any way I can stop a man parking his car in front of my house every working day from approx 7am to 6 pm. He works with my neighbour and they go off in his vehicle leaving his driveway empty all day. I have asked him to park on neighbours drive but he has refused saying leaves fall on his car from overhanging trees! My lawn goes directly to road as ther are no pavements and my boundary is a double curve. The front wheel is left approx 8-10 inches from kerb and the rear approx 24-30 inches out which cause me and others a difficult manouevre when reversing off our drives. help!
Hi

Thanks for your question.

Are you certaint aht where he is parking is public highway and not either part of your land or private land owned by another?

Kind regards

Tom
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The road leading to my house is as far as I am aware part of West Berkshire Highways. I live in a close which is part of a small housing estate of privately owned properties but the roadway is maintained by West Berkshire.

Thanks for your question.

Working on the assumption that the area on which the man is parking is, as you say, a highway maintained at the public expense by West Berkshire then I'm afraid there is not anything you can do to prevent another member of the public parking their car on it. Public highways are there to be used by everyone and though his parking there constantly is doubtless a source of great frustration it is not illegal and therefore you cannot limit his ability to do so I regret to say.

You may with to check for certain that it is public hghway by carrying out a highway search of the local authority, give them a call, they would do this for a small fee after you have provided a map outlining the area to them. It is is not public land then you can appeal to the owner of the land to prevent access for parking by the gentlemen.

I am sorry it could not be better news, but I suspect you may have had an inkling of the answer. You are free to continue to reason with them, perhaps if you constantly press them on it he may move elsewhere.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thanks for your question.

Kind regards,

Tom