How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7150
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Thanks. In general, if i have a will leaving things to my kids

Resolved Question:

Thanks. In general, if i have a will leaving things to my kids once both i and my wife die, and I die before my wife, how can I ensure she carries out my will?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.



Thanks for requesting me.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

  • 1. What are your main assets?

Kind regards.


Customer: replied 4 years ago.
A house worth 450,000 and a violin worth 20k, some 100k in the bank
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Is the house in both your names? Is it held as joint tenants or tenants in common?


Is the money in the bank in a joint account?



Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes, both house and bank accounts are in both names
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Yes, but is the house held as joint tenants OR as tenants in common, or do you not know?



Customer: replied 4 years ago.
don't know. what is most usual?
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.




The joint bank account would pass automatically to the surviving joint holder of the bank account.

It's more common for married couples to hold the property jointly so that the survivor inherits the share of the property automatically upon death of the first to die, but you should check.

Download a copy of the registered title for your property here for a small fee:-



Look at the propreitorship register of the title you have downloaded from the Land Registry (where the proprietors of the property are listed). If the following entry is immediately below the named registered proprietors then the interests are held as tenants in common:-

" No disposition by a sole propreitor of the registered estate (except a trust corporation) under which capital money arises is to be registered unless authorised by an order of the Court"

If the entry is there then the deceased's share of the property would pass according to their Wills or under the intestacy rules.

If there is no such entry then the proprty is held as joint tenants.




Your estate and your wife's estate are separate. You can make mirror Wills with a local solicitor leaving your respective estates to eachother and then to your children. But if one of you dies and then the other inherits absolutely then they can execute new Will if they choose.

There are ways that you can ensure that your children inherit after your wife though (eg you both leave the property and/or cash to your children but with the surviving partner to have a life interest to live in the property until death and to be entitled to the income from cash/savings until they themselves die), and with that amount of assets you really need to see a local solicitor about drafting a pair of Wills and giving you some basic estate planning. It would cost around £300+vat for two basic Wills and only a shade more than that for some basic estate planning.



If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7150
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers: