How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7150
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am an Israeli citizen who has lived in England for 5 years

Resolved Question:

I am an Israeli citizen who has lived in England for 5 years and 3 months, I've got a british residence indefinite leave to remain after being in England with a visa as a spouse of an israeli who came to England sent by an israeli company. Now I am waiting to recieve the british citizenship the thing is that my life with my husband is a nightmare and I would like to know in case I have to call the police for any reason this would be an obstacle to recieve the citizenship?. I have been married for 11 years and the marriage was in Israel and I've got 2 children I would like to know if its possible to put a demand of divorce here in England even if I don't have yet a british citizenship or I would need to do it in Israel
Thank you very much for your help
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for your question..

If you have been in the UK for 5 years then you would meet the length of time required in order to be eligible to apply to be naturalised, this is 5 years for persons who have been working here and 3 years for persons who are the spouses of a UK national. So even if you divorced you would still meet the length requirement.

You would also have to meet the residential requirements, so you must no have spent a lot of time outside of the UK, but I assume you are aware of this.

So your application to become a British Citizen would not be effected by your divorce provided you have not spent much time outside the UK during the 5 years and otherwise meet the eligibility criteria for naturalisation. Obviously the application you make would have to be supported by the usual documentary evidence that you any person submits for naturalisation.

If you have been resident in the UK for one year (which you have) then there is nothing preventing you from petitioning your husband for divorce here in the UK provided you have (or can get) your Marriage Certificate or a certified copy of it. There is lots of information for lay persons considering petitioning for divorce here:-

If you have already obtained indefinite leave to remain then this will be unaffected if your divorce, generally it is only revoked if the application is fraudulent (ie. the marriage was not a true and credible one) or if you subsequently spend a time outside the UK.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7150
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers: