RJ
RJ, Professor
Experience:  former paralegal and law professor
18024604

can I sue someone for perjury - which lead to me nearly dy

can I sue someone for perjury - which lead to me nearly dying
Category: UK Law
Expert:  RJ replied 5 years ago.
Unfortunately, you cannot sue someone for perjury because it is criminal charge. If someone spread lies about you, you can sue for libel, slander, and false light. If they lied to get you charged or convicted of a crime, you can sue for malicious prosecution and abuse of process. If you relied on their lies, you can sue for fraud and misrepresentation. Hire a local personal injury lawyer. Go on www.martindale.com. Good luck and remember to press accept so that I may get credit.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The person lied to have a road traffic accident turned against me. The lie actually meant that our stories were opposite in meaning. He said that his truck was park and i hit it, whereas actually he reversed from a drive, and hit me. He was originally hidden by a hedge and reversed straight into me.

This happened close to my home and I think all my neighbours do not talk to me because of this. He grows and delivers hay locally. The neighbours do not talk to me, which I assume is because I have said that he has lied. The court found in his favour. I have suffered a mental breakdown leading to me nearly succeeding in taking my own life as a direct result of his lie. People believe that I tried to commit suicide due to guilt, as they think I was lying.

What are my chances of clearing my name? and what are my chances of recieving compensation for the chaos this has caused in my life? I was off sick (from Social Work) for five months, my children nearly lost their mother and I still suffer with a lack of confidence and flash backs to the court scene, when I realised that he had won the case.

Expert:  RJ replied 5 years ago.
You have a strong chance of winning. You will have to get a mental health counselor to testify that your current state is due to this person's lies. This should not be difficult. Your life has clearly been disrupted due to this person.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I would have no problem in getting mental health clarification. i was sectioned under s136 of the mental health act and in hospital under police guard as they were concerned about my state of mind. I still cry when thinking about it. A recent counseller says i have suffered from PTSD. Nevertheless my husband does not want me to pursue this due to the potential financial cost involved and possible further mental stress. How do I go about sueing? What are the costs likely to be?
Expert:  RJ replied 5 years ago.
A lawyer will have to file a lawsuit for you. They file with the court and then the documents are served on the other person. If you find a lawyer who can take this on contingency fee, you will only pay if you win. If you win, the lawyer will take a percentage of what you win.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Did you see the answer I had from Mr Peter Fortune. Was it because I was asking the wrong question?
Expert:  RJ replied 5 years ago.

Unfortunately, it did not see that answer. Based on your recent posts, you have a case.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
a lot of personal injury lawyers appear to be looking at physical injury - who looks at mental injury?
Expert:  RJ replied 5 years ago.
Personal injury lawyers can help you sue for a mental injury. A mental injury is just as worthy of compensation. You have a counselor who can prove your injury. Pursue this case.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thank you i will