Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

im buying my house and paid a large amount of money off it

im buying my house and paid a large amount of money off it at the start, my girlfriends moving in if it dosnt work could she claim anything
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Hi
Thanks for your question.
To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-
1. Do you already own the property
2. Do you own it on your own or with another person
Kind regards.
Tom
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i have a mortgage i own it on my own
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Okay.

Your girlfriend is moving in and you wish to know if she would be entitled to claim an interest in the property. She will not be named on the legal title to the property and you have no children of the relationship.

Is the above correct?

Tom
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
yes
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your Question.

My answer assumes that she did not contribute any monies to the initial purchase of the property and that you shall remain unmarried.

The position is that where a person is not named on the registered title to a property then you can generally only claim an interest in the property if you have made either a capital contribution to it (ie. financing the purchase or pay for significant works which materially increase the value of the property) or have maintained the mortgage payments/paid rent or bills/foof to a total that is more than you would otherwise have paid in private rented accommodation in the area.
Provided does not contribute more money in payment for food than she would have otherwise paid in private rented accommodation for rent/bills/food and does not make improvements to the property which increases it’s market value then she would not be advised to make a claim against your property
If you have a mortgage on the property then you will need to give your lender a call to inform them that she intends to move in. They will send you their standard form Deed of Postponement which you must ask your girlfriend to take to a local solicitor to execute and take advice on. It will cost around £50 and you will be in breach of your mortgage conditions if you do not arrange this.
If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom