Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

had a phone call from a solicitor trying to contact my 36 yr

had a phone call from a solicitor trying to contact my 36 yr old divorced daughter as they intend taking her to court for outstanding debt. She doesn't live at my address and I don't know where they got my tel no as they asked for her by her married name. Are my husband and I liable in any way for her outstanding debts
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question

Provided you did not sign the contract to which the debt relates as either the co-borrower or as guarantor for the debt then they will not be able to sue you for the money.

An adult daughter is responsible for their own debts just as any other adult is responsible, the parents are not liable if they were not a party in any way to the original agreement which has resulted in the debt becoming due to the creditor.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,