How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas , Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7372
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

hello i am a Jamaican, citizen i entered the UK in 2002 and

Customer Question

hello i am a Jamaican, citizen i entered the UK in 2002 and claim asylum which was refused. i was advice by ukba to return home and apply for a visa to return and visit my child, i did this in 2005, and was refused the visa. i re-entered the uk illegally in 2006 and was caught in 2008, i was sent to jail for 12 months with recommendation from the judge to be deported. i appealed and lost, i was deported in 2009.

my problem is i have a child in the UK i use to be her main support we use to live together but since my deportation me and her mother relationship as broken down and now i have very little or no contact with my child.

point to note

1 i am now married to a person who has indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

2 i have no contact with my child who is a British citizen

3 i only committed the offence of entering the country illegally

4 i have no other criminal record in the UK.

5 the deportation order did not give a end time.

my question now is, is it possible to have the deportation order revoked and what would i need to do, i would really love to see my child again soon

thanks in advance for your answer
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

Your Article 8 Right to a Family and Private Life would supercede any ban you received as a result of your deportation, provided that your right is argued cogently in your application covering letter.

Your previous immigration history would prejudice your right to get ILR/Citizenship for quite some time, but provided you otherwise meet the eligibility criteria for a spouses visa then any ban would not restrict this.

You will have to show:-
• 1. That you are legally married to eachother (marriage certificate)
• 2. You have met before (statements, correspondence)
• 3. You are present and settled in the UK (eg. Passport, proof of accommodation)
• 6. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements, evidence of her (statements, correspondence)
• 7. You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income)
• 8. You have suitable accomodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
• 9. That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

The application will have to be supported by evidence proving the above eligiblity criteria. I have suggested basic documents above, but the list is not exhaustive

You will also have to pass and english language test showing you have a basic command of spoken and listening English. She can find out approved test providers in your area by contacting the UK embassy nearest to you.

You will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using form VAF4 Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with you to argue your Article 8 right.

It would cost around £1000 -1200+vat for a solicitor to prepare it on your behalf, or around £300+vat for them to check it

You/your wife can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-

The UKBA aims to reach a decision on all applications within 6-8 weeks of submission.

In addition your application and the covering letter must also refer to your UK citizen child, but by showing their are two family aspects to your application it will further strengthen the Art 8 argument and increase the likelihood of approval.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7372
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your reply, however what i would like to know is do i request the revocation of the deportation order first. Or do i submit the application for the spouse visa without requesting the revocation of the order.

and could you help me with a model letter of the request of the revocation of the order if possible.

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
No, you can submit the application on it's own provided you ask that a solicitor drafts the covering letter giving details of the order and arguing that your article 8 rights should supercede it.

Thanks for your accept.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tom thanks for your speedy answers but i am a little bit lost on the last answer as you started it off with it no you cant help me with the model letter?.........or is it no i don't need to ask for the revocation of the order separately?

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
It's "no" you do not need to revoke the Deportation Order. You just need to make a new application.

There really isn't one standard letter for this, all of these applications require bespoke letters tailored to you situation with reference to your defined immigration history.

You need to instruct a solicitor directly and can ask your wife to do so by using the above link to the law society website.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Tom thanks a million for your speedy reply man I do appreciate it.
my final question to you today is from your experience does this look like a straight forward case??

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
Straightforward? No.

Achievable? Yes, but you need to instruct a solicitor directly.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks again Tom, I will instruct a solicitor now that i know where i stand once again thanks alot
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.
You're welcome.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hello Thomas, is it posible for you to send me a sample revocation of deportation letter??

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.
You don't need one. You need to make a new application and deal with the deportation order in your covering letter.

You need a solicitor to do this for you, this is for general advice only. Yours is a very specific problem so you need a UK based immigration solicitor.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
are you saying my wife cannot submit this application herself?? the problem we have is we got conned by solicitors in UK, my wife had paid money to no avail...and it was poor advice from solicitor that got me deported in the first place............anyway the application can be submitted at the embassy in Jamaica or it as to be submitted in the UK? points to note;

my wife is now naturalize as a British citizen

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer came too late.
Expert:  Alice H replied 4 years ago.
Hi my name is Alex and I'm happy to help with your question today.

Do you still require assistance?

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    family solictor with 25 years experience
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor