Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I signed a contract for double glazing for 12500, I paid a

I signed a contract for double glazing for £12500, I paid a 25% deposit, part by credit card and part by cheque.
I signed the contract in the showroom of the double glazing company.
The contract detailed the windows that I was getting but there were no terms and conditions attached.
I now want to cancel within seven days of signing the contract, I took a letter to the company to cancel and asked for a refund of my deposit.
The company are saying I can't cancel as I signed the contract on their premises as opposed to in my house. Is this true?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question. It's not good news though.

I'm afraid that the company is correct. A statutory cooling off period is only implied in to contracts executed away from the Seller's premises under the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000:-

This is the only cooling off period implied in to consumber contracts, so if you signed at their premises and there is no cooling off period in the written contract then you will not be able to cancel unfortunately.

If the works are defective or there is some other breach of an express term of the contract then you may be entitled to a refund/damages as a result of the sale of goods/supply of services legislation or under simple contract, but as it presently stands you are contractually bound to pay the purchase price and they are contractually bound to provide the contractual service.

I am very sorry it could not be better news.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,