Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I own a shop in a block of terraced property where there are

I own a shop in a block of terraced property where there are shops on the ground floor and residence on the top two floors.
The freeholder is very uncooperative regarding building insurance. I have called and emailed him regarding building insurance so many times but he is not responding. So there is no building insurance cover for the past six months. What is the legal status. what happens in case of any damage done to my shop (building and glass part of it)

Thanks for your question.

If the freeholder is to arrange buildings insurance and doesn’t then it is a breach of contract by them.

If the property is damaged/destroyed then there will be an obligation in the Lease for the FH to reinstate the property. If he does not have insurance then he would still be obliged to reinstate but if he does not have funds to do this then you will be left with a simple breach of contract claim against him.

Obviously it is only worth suing someone if they have assets against which to enforce judgement.

Buildings Insurance needs to be in place. Write a formal letter to him stating that you require to be provided with confirmation of cover within a reasonable time (eg. Two weeks) and that if this is not forthcoming then you shall arrange cover and sue him for the cost of the monies.

You could do this via

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,