Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

i moved into a bunglow in October 2010 but the sun room was

i moved into a bunglow in October 2010 but the sun room was built without
planning permission my solicitor told me not to worry that he will sort it out
i am still waiting where do i stand if he cant get planning permission

Thanks for your question.

You need to find out specifically what your solicitor is doing or has done about it.

If it does not have planning permission then you can either

1) Apply for retrospective planning permission from the local authority. If granted then there is no problem. If they do not grant it and you lose on appeal then you may have to carry out remedial works in order to reinstrate the original works or to the sun room itself so that it does comply with the planning.

2) If they local authority do not already know about the works then you can keep quiet until 12 months from the date of the original works. At this point you will be able to purchase a Planning Permission Indemnity Policy which is an insruance policy that will cover you against the financial loss of any enforcement action taken by the local auhtority.

If you were not advised of the lack of planning permisison prior to purchase by your solicitor then you may have a claim against them. They should be your first port of call.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,