Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

I live in the uk and have been married for 4 years, separated

I live in the uk and have been married for 4 years, separated for 4 months.
We have settled on childcare arrangements and the splitting of assets.
I have filed for divorce on the grounds of unreasonable behaviour.
Am I free to date and does it have any affect on my divorce proceedings now that the process has started?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Hi

Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

• 1. I do not understand what you mean by asking whether you are "free to date", could you clarify please

Kind regards.

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well is it against the law if I were to meet someone before the divorce is finalised, and could it affect the settlement?
What I mean by date is casual dating with a person.
Why I'm asking is I have been asked out on a date and I want to say yes but won't if it will have a negative affect regarding the divorce proceedings.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

I think you can relax.

Seeing someone after divorce proceedings has commenced does not affect it one bit. There is no illegal act and the fact that one party is simply dating another third party does not prejudice that person in terms of financial settlement or otherwise.

The only way it could affect would be if you slept with the person and then your wife cross-petitioned on the basis of your adultery

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am the (ex) wife, if he were to know I was dating (just dating) even though he couldn't prove it as an intimate relationship, could he cross petition? And if he did cross-petition what would happen then?
I will 'accept' answer once I'm fully clear on the answer.
Thankyou for your time also.
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

If he were to cross-petition and you did not admit adultery then the only option he would have would be to have it heard in open court in an attempt to prove it. This happens only VERY rarely and he presumably would not do this because he could not prove it and it would also be very expensive

I trust this clarifies, if so please click accept.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor