How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7600
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi i am on Tier 2 (ICT) and want to switch to Tier 2 (general).

Resolved Question:


i am on Tier 2 (ICT) and want to switch to Tier 2 (general). is it possible to do within the country.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for question

I am afraid not, no. You will see from the following link that you are only allowed to switch in to Tier 2 (General) from a specific list of other visa categories and, regrettably, you will note that Tier 2 (Inter Company Transfers) are not included.

If you wish to make an application for Tier 2 General then you will have to leave the country in order to submit the application. You could limit the amount of time this would take by instructing a solicitor to prepare the application before you left so that it is sufficiently prepared and collated so that your chances of an approval are increased. It would cost around £800 + Vat for them to do this.

If you are in a relationship with an UK national, person with ILR or EEA national please do let me know and I shall further advise you of any options you may have.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i came on 02/03/2008 on work permit and my visa was extended on jan 2010 till jan 2013. does this allow me to switch. or the rules are still the same.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

If you are on a Tier 2 (ICT) then I still do not believe you are eligible to switch unfortunately.

I see that I have omitted the link in my earlier post, here it is:-

However, if you can extend your ICT and your earlier visa is one of the ones listed on the following page then you may be able to apply for Indefinite leave to remain once you have reached your 5 year period

I trust this clarifies, if so please click accept.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
one last thing. my current visa expires 2 months before i am eligible for ILR. can i still apply for ILR on JAN 2013.
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.
No, you can make an application 28 days before your 5 years period is attained but not two months before.

You will have to see if you can extent you ICT to meet the 5 years so that you can apply for ILR.

Please click accept.

Kind regards

Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Law Questions