Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

i am a female uk citizen and i am marrying and egyptian man

i am a female uk citizen and i am marrying and egyptian man next year in egypt. what paperwork do i need to do this?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

He will have to apply for a spouses visa once you are married.

If the application is well prepared and you meet the following eligibility criteria then it may make the application easy and quick to decide upon for the UKBA:-

• 1. That you are legally married to each other (marriage certificate)
  • 2. You are present and settled in the UK (eg. Passport, proof of accommodation)
  • 3. You intend to live permanently together here in the UK as husband and wife (statements, evidence of her (statements, correspondence(
  • 4. You can support each other without the need for public funds (bank statements, evidence of income)
  • 5. You have suitable accommodation which is owned or lived in only by you or your household and where you and your dependents can live without any help from public funds (tenancy agreement, land registry docs if you your own home)
  • 6. That neither of you are younger than 21 years of age. (birth certificates, passports)

The application will have to be supported by evidence proving the above eligiblity criteria. I have suggested basic documents above, but the list is not exhaustive.

He will also have to pass and English language test showing he has a basic command of spoken and listening English. You can contact the UKBA for details of test centres in his area .

You will need to apply for settlement (ie. spouses visa) by using form VAF4 Settlement, available for download from UKBA's website. It would be best for either a solicitor in the UK to prepare it in consultation with both you and your husband before submitting it to the embassy where he is.

You can find Uk immigration solicitors through the following Law Society Website search engine:-

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosingandusing/findasolicitor.law

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

can you tell me what paperwork is needed in egypt for the marriage ceremony to take place?

Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.

I am not an Egyptian lawyer, but I understand that you will need to have a statutorty declaration stating that you are not married sworn at the British Embassy in Cairo.

I would call the Egyptian embassy here for spefic details of the requirements for marriage in the area that you are to marry. This is the only way to be sure.

Trust this clarifies, if so please click accept.

Kind regards,

Tom