Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I currently have an issue with Land Registry if I write a Statement

I currently have an issue with Land Registry if I write a Statement of Truth does this carry the same weight as a Statutory Declaration

Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

• 1. Will you be swearing the statement of truth before a solicitor/commissioner for oaths?

Kind regards.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Hi Tom

Land Registry practice guide 5 rules 2008 does not make the swearing before a solicitor a requirment if witten and signed, by an individual capable of doing so

Thanks for your reply.

I presume that you are referring to Form ST1 required by the LR in order to prove adverse possession.

Basically, in terms of weighting it depends on how you look at it. A statutory declaration is made under the Statutory Declaration Act 1835, which means that any misrepresentation or lie contained within a stat dec can be subject to criminal proceedings. That is why stat decs can be used for lots of different purposes, including making an application for AP.

However, the ST1 form is designed specifically for the purpose of an AP application and is no less persuasive than a stat dec because of this reason. The other documentary evidence that I presume you will produce shall be the most persuasive evidential article in any event.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,