Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

My husband was a British Overseas Citizen (his father was also

My husband was a British Overseas Citizen (his father was also a British Overseas Citizen). My husband registered as a British citizen (as he was born in 1981) and now has a British Passport. Can our daughter get a British passport? We live in Kuwait where she is not eligible for a passport by birth of location. I have an Indian passport.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Hi

Thanks for your question.

To enable me to answer your question could you please
respond to the following:-

1.
Where was your husband born?

Kind regards.

Tom

Hi

Thanks for your question.

respond to the following:-

1.
Where was your husband born?

Kind regards.

Tom

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
My husband was born in Mumbai, India.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

I’m afraid that because your husband was born in India this means that he himself has acquired his UK citizenship by descent from his father. This means that your husband’s father’s UK citizenship has passed to your husband because your husband did not qualify for UK citizenship by virtue of having been born in the UK.

As you have correctly stated your daughter does not qualify by birth because she was born outside the UK.

I am sorry to say that neither does she qualify for UK citizenship by descent because citizenship can only descend one generation. Your husband’s father UK citizenship has already descended once (ie. to your husband) and there for cannot descend further to your daughter.

I am sorry it could not be better news.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,

Tom