Jo C.
Jo C., Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I wish to have my convictions removed from my CRB disclosure, my last offence was July 199

I wish to have my convictions removed from my CRB disclosure, my last offence was July 1996 for which I received 2yrs Probation. I have never re-offended and want to apply to have them removed, how do I go about this if it is possible. I am aware that if you have 3 convictions or more they are supposed to stay on record for 20 yrs. Any advice would be much appreciated
Hi

Thank you for your question. I will try to help with this.

What were your offences and what were the sentences?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

October 1988- Theft Disposal- Probation 18mths

May 1989- Theft Disposal- Admonished

June 1990- Theft-Shoplifting Disposal- Fine £120.00

September 1996- Handling Stolen Goods- Disposal- Probation 2yrs

All of those are long since spent. That will mean that none of them will appear on your basic CRB checking.

But they will show on standard and enhanced checking. At the moment the position is that both forms of checking are to show all forms of convictions deemed relevant although that may change in due course. There are challenges to this practice and the Government are considering a review of CRB checking generally. With old convictions that will be all the more relevant so that may be a case of watching this space.

At the moment all you can do is ask the Chief Constable to remove these items from your CRB on the basis that they are not relevant. Commonly the Chief Constable will refuse. You can judicially review that decision but judicial review is a high test I'm afraid.

At the moment you have no rights to demand that the information is removed though.

I know this answer is probably not what you wanted to hear and I am regret being the bearer of bad news. But it would be unfair to you and unprofessional of me to provide you with anything less than a truthful and honest information. I hope you understand.

I'm happy to discuss this but please remember to click on accept.