Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

is it possible to obtain in the land registry the previous

is it possible to obtain in the land registry the previous purchase and sales contract of a property in UK? if yes, how many years back?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

The land registry are not interested in the contract for sale made between the vendor and purchaser - it is a private contract and it is never sent to them.

The only document they look at is the Land Registry Transfer form which is provide by the vendor to the purchaser upon completion. Both parties must sign this. It is then sent to the LR, they check it and register the transfer of title if satisfied.

I do not believe they keep a copy, you can ask them to check their records but I doubt they will do too much looking unless you have a justifiable reason because it's a very particular enquiry and there are issues of confidentiality I should think.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,