How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7600
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

my mother died leaving no will. She lived in rented property.

Resolved Question:

my mother died leaving no will. She lived in rented property. She had a savings account with £10,000.00 held. As the eldest child I decided to split the money between 3 living children, me, my brother and my sister. This was agreed between us all. I also have a brother who died prior to my mothers death. My neice is now making a claim for her fathers share. Is she entitled to this? My mother died 2 1/2 years ago.
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 6 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


Yes, I'm afraid that the niece would be able to make a claim. Where a person had children but one of them died before they themselves passed on then the deceased child's share should pass to any children they have.


You will see that it's is explained on this link, see "unmarried person with chidren", second from the bottom:-


I am sorry it could not be better news.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you