How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Thomas Your Own Question
Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7569
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are currenly living our sons house and paying the mortgage,

Resolved Question:

We are currenly living our sons house and paying the mortgage, he is living withhis ex partner and is a full time carer for his son who has muscular distrophy. His relationship with his ex partner is barely tolerable as his sons condition is worsening and he is solely there for his son. Our question is this, when the inevitable happens to his son he is looking to come back to his house this we don,t have issue with but we are concerned that his ex partner may lay claim to some of the value of the property which we have renovated at a considerable cost to ourselves. He assures us that during thier time together she has in no way or form contributed to costs of the then home. Where do we stand legally and financially?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.


Thanks for your question. It's a very difficult situation, I'm sorry.

To enable me to answer your question could you please respond to the following:-

  • 1. Is she on the registered title for the property as joint proprietor?


Kind regards.



Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The title deeds are solely in our sons name
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Is he married to the mother of his child?



Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They are not married, After his son was born she had an affiar with a work collegue and left the house with thier son and it wasn,ttill later that his son was diagnosed with ms and his condition got worse that he finished a new relationship and moved back with his ex to care for his son.
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.



Thanks for your reply.


The position is that where a person is not named on the registered title to a property then you can generally only claim an interest in the property if you have made either a capital contribution to it (ie. financing the purchase or pay for significant works which materially increase the value of the property) or have maintained the mortgage payments/paid rent or bills/food (when living there) to a total that is more than you would otherwise have paid in private rented accommodation in the area.


Assuming this to be the case and provided he meets his child support responsibilities until - as you put it - the inevitable happens then she would not be advised by a solicitor to attempt to claim an interest in it because she would have no prospect of any kind of success.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Thomas and other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related UK Law Questions