How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7004
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are in the last year of a 10 year lease of a shop premises

Resolved Question:

We are in the last year of a 10 year lease of a shop premises and the current new landlord (of the last 20 months) is ruthless and we would like leave the premises 6 months before the lease will end due to ill health of of the owner - where do we stand in trying to get an early release - is there a something in the tenancy law to show that if ill health prevails and the turnover of the business is continually dropping we could negotiate early release - if we just go will he legally chase us for the last 6 months rent and could he take our home.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


I'm afraid not, there is no statutory provision afforded rights of termination to persons of ill health in commercial lease. Unless there is a clause in the lease specifically covering this then you will be bound by the term of the lease (I would not expect to see such a clause either).


You can either:-

  • 1. Pay the remaining rent and vacate
  • 2. Not pay the remaining rent and vacate (not advisable - it's very easy to sue and he would be successful. If he is ruthless as you say then he will almost certainly sue because it's not difficult
  • 3. Offer him a sum of money to surrender the lease when you want it to end. This is where each party mutually agrees to end the lease. You could offer him an amount of money (eg. 1/2 months worth of rent) in the hope that he will accept and take his chances in market to relet with the possibility that he would effectively be earning double rent for a short time.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I already knew that this maybe the case as he is so ruthless and is not caring about our financial / personal situation but we have other issues about the service charges that have to be paid within the terms of the lease. Before this landlord the shopping centre was in in administration for 1 year and before that the current owners were not good landlords and we used a solicitor to act on our behalf (incurring expense for us)about how we were being asked for money towards the management fees (approx half of the service charges were these fees) when in fact the Management company were not acting on our behalf, as we felt they should be and speaking to the current management company GVA - they are also only acting for their client (the landlord owner) and we are expected to pay for this - who is actually managing us - i.e helping us with the rent and service charge issues - am I right in thinking they should be representing us if we are being asked to pay the charges.
Please reply as I have this issue which is just as important to be answered aswell
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.



The management company work on behalf of the landlord. You have certain rights in respect of the level of service you can expect from them - their responsibilties will be outlined on your lease (eg. to maintain common parts, to repair common conduits etc). Any solicitors acting on behalf of the managment company would be acting for them, not for you.

The only solicitors that act for you are those which you privately instruct yourself.


If you are in dispute with the management company then you will either have to act in that yourself or instruct a solicitor directly on your behalf.

Trust this clarifies, if so please click accept.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 4 years ago.
One final question before I finally accept the answer - why am I paying management fees them when they are not actually helping me at all and don't respond to my problems (apart from money when it is due) and they are acting for the landlord - not me - but I have to pay it - it seems unfair and is that right - I don't think it is. I will happily pay towards services I receive - waste removal, security, cleaning etc - but not for fees that shouldn't be included ( will they be stated in part of the tenancy lease we have in a clause)
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.



It would have been a term of your lease to contribute to the common parts of the shopping centre because you benefit from the shopping centre being a hub for local trade.


Your lease will also confirm the things that the management company should be doing and the standards of service with respect to the upkeep of the common parts of the shopping centre. Look at your lease for these clauses. If it is your opinion that they have breached these clauses then you can dispute on the basis of a breach of contract.


Please click accept.

Kind regads,


Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7004
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 3 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Law with expertise in UK Employment Law
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Law with expertise in UK Employment Law
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice