How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Thomas Your Own Question

Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7038
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Thomas is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am going to get a visit visa to UK. How I will be able to

Resolved Question:

I am going to get a visit visa to UK. How I will be able to turn it to a Permenant Residence when I arrive there?
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.



Thanks for your question.


I assume you are a national of a non-EEA member stated country.


It is a condition of your visitor's visa that you must leave before the expiry of the visa which you have been granted. Usually it is limited to 6 months.


There is, I regret to say, no possibility of your applying for indefinite leave to remain (permanent resident) at the end of your visa. It is simply not permitted and, in fact, the only way you could stay for any length of time after your visa expires is if there are exceptional compassionate reasons why you should be granted further leave to remain (eg. Where to remove you would provably affect your health because of a serious and existing health condition).

If you wish to apply for ILR you must do so under the normal ways (eg. Either by a visa based on a family relationship (eg. Wife) or as a sponsored skilled worker (ie. Tier 2):-


It is very important that you do not overstay your visitor's visa because this could prejudicially affect any future application for a visa that you make.


I am very sorry it could not be better news.


If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.


I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,


Customer: replied 4 years ago.



Thank you very much for your reply. I have been informed that I can be granted a 5 years visit visa to UK where as you have mentioned I cannot stay more than 6 months. But they informed me that I can change this to a Residence Visa for 3 years if I opened a company and started making profit or if I found a job.


So I want to ask if it is easy to get a job in UK while I am on my visit visa or I can open a company to be able to take a 3 years Residence and afterwards apply for the PR.

Expert:  Thomas replied 4 years ago.



You will note that I said generally visitor's visas are granted for 6 months. The visitor's visa you refer to is, I think, a multi-entry vistor's visa., which pemits you to enter and leave the UK provided you do not stay in the UK for more than 6 months in any 12 months period. As it is a visitor's visa you would still not be able to work or set up a company and work for that company during that time, so I'm not sure the advice you have received is quite correct.


Similaly, the UKBA do not permit switching from a visitor's visa to one of the workers category (ie. entrepreneurial, investor or tier 2 on the above link) whilst you are in the UK. They would require you to return home and make the application from there.

If your ultimate aim is to gain permanent residency in the UK and you are not in a relationship with a UK or EEA-member state national then you would have to apply under the bracketed ways in the paragraph above. The information is contained in the link in my previous post. A visitor's visa (multi-entry or otherwise) is not appropriate if you wish to secure PR.

Trust this clarifies, if so please click accept.

Kind regards,


Thomas, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 7038
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Thomas and 2 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones


    Satisfied Customers:

    Specialist in UK Legal Matters
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
  • Alex J.'s Avatar

    Alex J.


    Satisfied Customers: