Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

The background information is A person was born in Australia

The background information is: A person was born in Australia and went with her mother to live in England 17 years ago when she was 15 years old. The person was then educated in England & worked in England up until December 2010. The person has since been on an extended holiday back to Australia & is planning on returning to England permanently in July 2012. Her mother is still residing in England.
This question is: Can this person apply immediately upon returning to England to be naturalised or does this extended holiday means that there will need to be a further period of time of living in England before she can apply?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

I'm afraid that the trip outside the UK is taken in to account in determining your eligibility to apply to be naturalised. In order to be naturalised, one must meet the residential requirements contained on this page:-

No doubt you will see that the time outside the UK therefore makes you ineligible on the basis that it is greater than 450 days outside of the UK within the 5 year period but also that it is greater than 90 days within the preceding 12 months if you were to make the application immediately.

I'm afraid that you will have to start your period of residency for naturalisation purposes again, I'm very sorry.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. If you do not click accept your money stays with the site and I do not receive any credit for the time I have taken to answer your question.

I will answer your follow up questions you may have.

Kind regards,