How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Joshua Your Own Question
Joshua, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 25358
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Type Your UK Law Question Here...
Joshua is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I apply for an order of sale?

This answer was rated:

I want to apply for an order to force my ex-partner to sell our property. We owned as tenants in common with no declaration of trust in place. I live in the house and pay the mortgage, but he is refusing to sell or transfer the property to me despite two years of negotiations & generous offers from me. The capital portion of my monthly mortgage payment is £1000, so his share in the house is increasing at a rate of £500/month without him having to pay anything; therefore he's in no hurry to sell and has obstructed the sale/transfer.

I have been advised to apply for an order on form N208. I have been told to word the claim as follows, but I don't know what that means in plain English, and I want to be sure that I am asking for what I actually want. What I want is to have 1) an order 2) we me having control of the sale. How do we agree the division of equity, it's 50:50 by default, but neither of us want that, he says I need to pay him an extra £10k, and I want his share to be reduced by the amount of his missed mortgage payments £13k due to him having consistently obstructed a settlement years; here is the wording I have so far.

The Claimant claims:
1. An order that the Defendant joins with the Claimant in affecting a sale of the freehold property known as  57   Maidenhead, Berkshire, SL6 3JA want to request transfer how can this be worded?
2. An order that the conduct of the sale be given to the Claimant wants to request transfer how can this be worded?
3. An order that the Defendant pay the costs of these proceedings, as notified in the letter from the Claimant to the Defendant of 17 June 2009.
4. Such further Order or other relief as may be just.

Part 8 of the civil procedure or rules 1998 applies to the claim. The legal basis claim is that -

The property was purchased by the Claimant and the Defendant as Tenants In Common, with no Declaration of Trust, as a home two of them and the Claimant's three children.

The property is no longer a home to the two of them; The Claimant wishes to sever ties with the Defendant by buying the Defendant's share of the property and having the property transferred to her. The Claimant relies on the evidence in the witness statement filed with this claim. The claim is made under section 14 of the Trusts of Land and Appointment of Trustees Act 1996.

Could you be more specific as to your question about this please?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Does the wording that I have put together N208 reflect what I want to achieve? Once I have the order, which form to I fill out to have the court decide how the equity should be split?

Are you attempting to conduct this case yourself?
Do I understand correctly that you are paying all the mortgage but both you and your partner believe that he is entitled to benefit from your equity repayments?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Yes, I am attempting to conduct this case myself, I have already spent thousands with solicitors and I'm no further forward. I'm hoping that once I submit the form this will encourage him to settle out of court.

I am paying the mortgage. He thinks he is entitled to a straight 50:50 split thereby benefitting from the increased equity due to my capital mortgage payments PLUS he wants £10k on top of that. I don't think he should benefit from the increased equity since he has deliberately obstructed the sale in order to profit in this way, and he will continue to do so unless I force a sale, neither is he entitled to an extra £10k on top.

He is operating under a mistake if he thinks he is benefiting from the capital payments you are making. He is not. Equitable accounting rules will preclude him from benefiting from the same. He would do well to read the decision in Goff & Jones that confirms this point.

You have done admirably though I am nervous that you are conducting this case yourself. TLATA cases are extremely complex and require experience and skill to conduct well. They are a world away from small claims matters.

Nevertheless in the hope that this assists you I would suggest the following wording claim form in terms of the remedies you are seeking:

1. A Declaration that the Property and the net proceeds of sale thereof belong to the Claimant and Defendant in shares ??:?? or such other shares as the Court may decide.
3. An Order that the Property be sold with the Claimant to have conduct of the sale and that the Defendant do join with and co-operate with the Claimant and take all steps and execute all documents necessary to effect the sale of the Property failing which a District Judge of this Court will have the ability to sign such documentation in place of the Defendant.
5. Such provision as the Court shall see fit in relation to occupational rent.
6. Such further or other relief as the Court may deem appropriate.

Joshua, Lawyer
Category: UK Law
Satisfied Customers: 25358
Experience: LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
Joshua and 3 other UK Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the advice so far.

As the occupational rent - my ex-partners' solicitor says that he is entitled to occupational rent which is equal to his share of the mortgage that he hasn't paid. However, I read that the court will often offset the occupational rent against the mortgage interest only, but not against the capital. Can this be included in the form? So instead of such provisions as the court shall see fit in relation to occupation rent. Is it possible to request instead that any claim rent be offset against the mortgage interest which the Claimant has paid on behalf of the Defendant or something like that?

Yes it is not an exact science but case law suggests that interest element of the mortgage is typically used not the capital. You can do as you suggest but it would make little difference. The judge has discretion in the matter. It comes to the same thing.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
< Previous | Next >
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick Leeds, UK
  • I did not know a French Law service existed and I was very impressed with the speed of reply --- very professional. Many thanks! Ms. Baker Alfafar, Spain
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie USA
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex Los Angeles, CA
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP Hesperia, CA
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin Kernersville, NC

Meet The Experts:

  • Ben Jones

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
< Last | Next >
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • INC's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Jenny Mackenzie's Avatar

    Jenny Mackenzie

    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 10 years experience in general legal matters
  • Matthew J's Avatar

    Matthew J


    Satisfied Customers:

    4 y PQE (Partner) - Commercial / Residential Property & Property and Civil litigation experience
  • Stuart J's Avatar

    Stuart J


    Satisfied Customers:

    PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street practice
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    family solictor with 25 years experience
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor