Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

i was convicted for a 6 months imprisonment,from may 2003 for

Customer Question

i was convicted for a 6 months imprisonment,from may 2003 for deception in Majesty's crown kingston.i want to know my clear periode before applying for a british citizen.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

I'm sorry to say that the UKBA will consider convictions as part of their criteria for assessing the "good character" requirement for UK citizenship:-

They will be able to refuse citizenship on the basis of your conviction for a period of 10 years. Under the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974 your conviction will be spent after 10 years and you wll be able to more confidently apply then.

If you make an application then you will be doing so with the knowledged that it will almost certainly be rejected. I am sorry it could not be better news.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i was notified to the prison in 2003 than i was for 5 years?

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

It will be 10 years from the date of your actual conviction, so whenever that was.

Thanks for your accept and very kind bonus.