Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

I bought DWVC membership thro ILG. I am now approached by

I bought DWVC membership thro' ILG. I am now approached by Simple Timeshare Sales offering a substantial sum for the sale of my DWVC membership to their client but am required to provide a 1200 euro payment into an escro a/c, returnable if their client withdraws from the deal.
Is this transaction likely to be genuine and legal?
Simple Timeshare Sales appear to be based in Manchester but there are Spanish connections.

From A Dearden
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your question.

I don't really like the sound of this. It is highly irregular for an agent to ask for payment up fron in to an account without provided any form of contractual documentation and cast-iron evidence of their credentials.

If this is their website I would also be concerned. Aside from not being particually provfessional it does not list any credentials whatsoever. It does not even state the form of legal entity of the "company" (eg. limited company, partnership etc) and I cannot really see how they could expect others to party with money on the basis of an unsolicited telephone call.

There is no UK registered company called Timeshare Sales either.

The reality is that there are plenty scams that operate in this way.

I would state that you shall not part with any money without full pre-contractual documetation, supporting literatre, evidence of the status of the "company" (where it is registered, register of directors etc) before you will even consider their offer. I doubt you will hear from them. It's almost insulting that they would even ask without the above to be frank.

At the moment there would be nothing stopping you or I from doing the very same thing they are doing.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You wll be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,