Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

How long does a legacy case in the uk stay open for are they

Customer Question

How long does a legacy case in the uk stay open for are they ever considered closed
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Hi

Could you explain your position a bit more please?

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi

I claimed asylum in 2003, but this was rejected so I appealed
But remained here in the uk, while I appealed against the decision. No decision was made so I left the uk.

I eventually claimed aslyum in italy where I was granted a stay of permit and subsidiary protection. I contacted uk border agency to tell them I had left and was in italy. My question is does this mean my legacy case in the uk is now closed.

Thank you
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm afraid that if you have left the UK without the appeal being resolved then the case will be closed and asylum will not have been granted to you. The UKBA will have noted that you are in Italy and updated their records to reflect the fact that you no longer require your asylum applicaiton to be processed.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you

Can I travel to uk using my italian I'd card
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Have you obtained Italian Citizenship? Or have you obtained the ID card simply by virtue of the leave to remain in Italy that you have secured?

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Not citizenship
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Do you still hold your passport from the country from which which you were claiming asylum?

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have a subsidiary protection document and a permit of stay a national insurance card and I D card paper style issued from italy
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Yes, but no passport. Correct?

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I do not have my passport from my home country with me. I was given subsidiary protection from italy with a permit of stay
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Ok.

You should be able to apply for a visitor's visa on the basis of your Italian ID card, but you will have to explain your position and why you do not have your passport. You should also disclose your asylum applicaiton history in the UK.

You should apply directly to the UK embassy in Italy.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thankyou

Ok so cannot travel to uk just on I'd card has I understand some italians do
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Given your previous complicated immigration history with the UK I would certainly not risk it, no.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Why would someone get subsidiary protection and not full refugee status
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

That's an italian immigration issue I'm afraid and I cannot advise on it.

Tom

Thomas, Lawyer
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok

If I was allowed to travel on my I'd card and was allowed to enter uk. What would u advise me to do first?
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you're asking?

Tom

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How complicated is it to apply for tourist visa on my italian subsidiary protection document to enter uk and do I need a sponsor for this