Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor

My Turkish citizen wife, who has visitor status and not resident

Customer Question

My Turkish citizen wife, who has visitor status and not resident status in the UK at this time, will be giving birth in Turkey later this year. What steps need to be taken to ensure that the child qualifies for UK citizenship and what is the process for obtaining same? many thanks.
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

What nationality are you?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Sorry!! I am a British citizen by birth..

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for your reply.

Your son will be a British citizen because of your UK citiizenship. It does not matter that your wife is not resident here or indeed British, or that the child will be born in Turkey.

He will be British by descent which means that his chlidren will not qualify for UK citizenship if they themselves are born outside of the UK.

You will have to produce the Birth Certificate showing you as father in order for the child to receive a UK passport.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,