Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

WILL I NEED UTILITY BILL OR BANK STATEMENT TO MY APPLICATION

Customer Question

WILL I NEED UTILITY BILL OR BANK STATEMENT TO MY APPLICATION FOR APPROVAL TO GET MARRY IN UK?
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

What nationality are you?

Is there a reason why you need to apply now? The requirement for a COA will cease soon. I can provide details.

Tom

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i am a ghanaian

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

Thanks

Is there a reason why you are applying for a COA now rather than waiting until the requirement ceases?

Tom

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

i am a ghanaian. im about to get marry to a lady who is a British and im not having leave to remain.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

wHEN IS COA ENDING ?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Please kindly feed me with the requirement for coa.

Expert:  Thomas replied 5 years ago.

The requirement for a certificate of approval ceases as of 9th May:-

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/while-in-uk/marriageandcivilpartnership/documents/#header2

This means that as of 9th May you will be able to marry without the need for a COA. You will be able to attend a registry office or church and provided you can both prove your identity and they are satisfied that the marriage is genuine and not a sham marriage then you will be able to marry without restriction.

If you apply for a COA now then you will almost certainly not receive the COA before the 9th May so there seems little point in applying.

I would wait and then marry after 9th May.

If this has been useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. It will be gratefully received and you will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom