Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

how can you find out if the deceased had a will if you are

<p>how can you find out if the deceased had a will if you are not actually family? if you were named on a will do you have to be tracked down and told or could family decide not to tell you. my father always said a good friend said they would leave him something when they died. he has since died before the other deceased in question and i'm just wondering howe to find out if they did in fact actually leave my father something. </p><p>i wouldnt want the family knowing that i was enquiring so how could i do that is there a place that lists the wills of everyone??</p><p> </p>
Category: UK Law
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.
Hi

Was a grant of probate taken?

Tom
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

have no idea about probate.

the lady in question had one brother for definite, possibly 2. her own husband died some 20+years ago.

I'm sure she would have had a will and maybe named those to share in her estate. i just assume that her nephew would have got everything or maybe her siblings.

but am just curious to the will. my father worked with her and our family always visited her. he always said she had told him she would leave him something.

then my father passed away 6 years ago and i never asked the lady outright about it, wasnt my place to, or she never said to me or my sisters anything of the sort.

I presume I would have no right to see/read it.

Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

If the deceased's estate either included a property or was greater than £5000.00 then a grant of probate would have to be taken in the estate in order to distribute the assets to the appropriate beneficiaries. A copy of the Will shall be attached to the grant of probate and you can order a copy.

For NI you can obtain copies by contacting the registry:-

Probate & Matrimonial Office, Royal Courts of Justice [Ulster], Chichester Street, Belfast BT1 3JF
Tel 028 9023 5111

Just say that you need to search for and order (if held) a copy of a grant of probate.

If there was no probate required (ie. no property, estate less than £5k) then it would be for the executors to decide whether to let you see a copy of the Will.

It is for the executors to distribute the deceased's estate to the beneficiaries named in the Will. If a named beneficiary did not receive their inheritance then they will have a private claim against the executors in their personal capacity.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Thomas, Lawyer
Experience: BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor