Thomas Judge
Thomas Judge, Solicitor Advocate
Experience:  Award winning lawyer with over 15 years experience

Is it illegal to open other peoples mail, and if not (I heard

Is it illegal to open other peoples mail, and if not (I heard the law only covers it to the front door of the address), is it illegal to withhold that information once they have opened it? My question relates to someone who open my important medical information, and they withheld it even after many attempts at contacting them to retrieve the information from them, even asked them to forward it to my new address in the post. My condition was life threatening and it was three weeks before I managed to get an update through the hospital, I still don't have the information from her and because I attempted so many times for the information, she filed a harassment allegation!

It is against the law to open other people mail if it is addressed to them and you should notify the police in this regard:-

84. - (1) A person commits an offence if, without reasonable excuse, he-

(a) intentionally delays or opens a postal packet in the course of its transmission by post, or
(b) intentionally opens a mail-bag.
(2) Subsections (2) to (5) of section 83 apply to subsection (1) above as they apply to subsection (1) of that section.

(3) A person commits an offence if, intending to act to a person's detriment and without reasonable excuse, he opens a postal packet which he knows or reasonably suspects has been incorrectly delivered to him.

(4) Subsections (2) and (3) of section 83 (so far as they relate to the opening of postal packets) apply to subsection (3) above as they apply to subsection (1) of that section.

(5) A person who commits an offence under subsection (1) or (3) shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding level 5 on the standard scale or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months or to both.

Please press accept
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

So this person is breaking the law if it has been addressed to thier own home (I used to live there), but with my name addressed on the evelope and withholding information that is detriment to me? The information you gave me doesnt say if it has been entered into the addressed premises, this is highly important. Or does number 3 explain that?

Subsection 3 would deal with your scenario

I hope this helps

Please press ACCEPT