Thomas
Thomas, Lawyer
Experience:  BA (Hons), PgDip, Practising Solicitor
28732269

i plan to marry a jamaican citizen (36yo) in jamaica this year.

i plan to marry a jamaican citizen (36yo) in jamaica this year. he previously lived and married (now divorced) in the uk over 15 years ago (when we met) while here he had a run in with the law (arrested and put on remand but no formal charges as he chose to leave) - will this effect his chance of coming to the uk as a spouse in the future?
Hi

He has no formal charges/convictions, yes?

Tom
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Hi Thomas,

Apologies. I slightly misunderstood the information I was given.

He was charged for possesion of marijuana (personal use) in 1998. He got 6 months and did 3 months before leaving the country

Please let me know if u require anything further.

The position is that the UKBA will soon be able to refuse applications if the conviction would not be considered spent under UK law. If he was sentenced to 6 months then this would now be spent and they could not refuse on this basis alone.

There is a ground which allows them to reject of the basis of the person not being of "good character", it is unlikely that the conviction alone would be used for this purpose but it could be used in conjunction with any other examples of a deficiency in character.

If this is useful please kindly click accept so that I may be rewarded for my time. You will be free to ask follow up questions.

Kind regards,

Tom

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thanks for the info thus far

what would be considered as 'not good gharacter'?

he has not been any trouble since and has no police record in Jamaica. plus when this happened it was 13/14 years ago - does the UKBA take this into consideration?

i eagerly await your response.

THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying £3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thank you

this is helpful and gives me some hope

much appreciated.

You're welcome.

Tom